Dec 7, 2017
Today as it is our 100th episode (and we are fast approaching 700,000 subscribers) we have decided to do something a little different! We have a panel of AskHistorians Moderators to talk about AskHistorians Under the Hood--what it is like to moderate and run the worlds largest academic history forum. AskHistorians has grown a lot in its six, nearly 7 years of existence, spawning several articles, helping several careers, several academic panels (which you can hear on earlier episodes) and this podcast! So if you have no interest in AskHistorians as a reddit community, this podcast might be of less interest to you. But regardless we have a great lineup today. The format today will be brief discussions of individual moderators about different aspects of AskHistorians followed by period of comment by the whole panel!
Today we are joined by
1) /u/bernardito, better known as Stefan, flaired in Modern Guerrilla and Counterinsurgency, to talk about the development of the subreddit and his own development. You can also catch him on episodes 39 and 40 talking about Algeria and Counter-Insurgency.
2) /u/commiespaceinvader, also known as Joe, flaired in to Holocaust Nazi Germany and Wehrmacht War Crimes, to talk about holocaust denialism, the academic theories underpinning academia and AskHistorians, and the emotional labor of working on a very difficult topic. You can also catch him on episodes 91 and 57 talking about fascism and Intentionalism and Functionalism in the Holocaust
3) /u/snapshot52, known as Kyle, flaired in Native American Studies | Colonialism, to talk about theory in a non-western and subaltern points of view, and the difficulties and pleasures of this. You can also catch him on episodes 75 and 80 talking about Indian Policy and Indian Sovereignty and Cultural Genocide against American Indians
4) /u/chocolatepot, known to her friends and family as Cassidy Percoco, flaired in the History of Western Fashion, to discuss what it is like having interests that are contrarian to the reddit hivemind and culture, and what it is like to bring women's history to life. Catch her on episode 45 talking about Regency Era Fashion
5) /u/Iphikrates, known as Roel, flaired in Greek Warfare, to talk about being an expert in a field where the academic view is diametrically opposed to the public one, and how AH is a perfect opportunity to do something about it because the questions come from the public. Catch him also on episode 81 discussing Iphikrates and His Reforms
Finally we will have
6) /u/Georgy_K_Zhukov, flaired in Post-Napoleonic Warfare & Small Arms | Dueling, to talk numbers and statistics and the state of the sub as a whole.